Tuesday 17 July 2018

2018 Patio #1, 2 3 & 4.

I love patios. Till wasp season anyway. We try to eat el fresco any time possible in the early part of summer. And I am hoping that the wasps won't be as bad this year as they were last year so we can continue to eat outside into the fall.



1. The first patio we hit up this year was Beachcomber at The Forks. It was threatening to rain but we decided to chance it. We did get a few drops here and there but their big umbrellas kept us dry and the clouds blew by. The service was great and the crowd was cheerful and friendly. I almost always opt for Manitoba walleye when given the opportunity and it was tasty. We left very full and enjoyed a walk around The Forks. Definitely bonus points for extra things to do before and after a meal.


2. Santa Lucia rooftop patio. I love their rooftop patio. They have a roller shade that allows for shade and wind protection but can be opened late in the evening to let in the light breeze and warmth of the setting sun. The pizza is amazing even for those of us that aren't crazy about pizza. It was a weeknight so it wasn't very busy at around 7:30/8pm on the patio.


3. Resto Gare for a late lunch was amazing and we had the whole patio to ourselves and a little baby bunny! Despite us being the only people outside our waiter was super attentive and funny. I ended up boxing up half my Mac and Cheese and had it the next day for lunch. Jamus usually doesn't like homemade fries but he devoured these ones. They are so good! I had been on the patio here last year with girlfriends and a live band and had a great time so I knew it wouldn't disappoint. The menu here is so varied in options and prices that there really is something for everyone.


4. I went to Promenade Cafe for brunch with a girlfriend. I had booked the reservation the night before requesting the patio. The previous time I had tried to book the patio here for a late night reservation we got a call cancelling due to rain and they had graciously moved us inside but gave us the option to cancel. We did go and loved it but I still wanted to try it out at brunch and on the patio. I got there earlier then my reservation time and the patio wasn't set up. She didn't notice my reservation was for the patio and hadn't planned on setting it up till the other waitress came in later in the morning. She decided to get it set up while I waited (it took her under 3 minutes) and I was seated. I read and sipped tea till my friend came and by then there was several other people enjoying the beautiful view from the patio. If you don't know where Promenade is, it is on Tache looking towards the Forks, Esplanade Riel bridge and The Canadian Museum of Human Rights. They have quite a few options on their brunch menu but were slow to bring coffee and tea refills and even slower to bring the bill. We actually joked about just leaving as we hadn't seen the waitress in so long and this was after the other waitress had come in. Overall, it was mid-morning, unhurried brunch so was all good. I would go again - the view and food were great.

Hopefully we get in a few more patios this year. What have your favourite ones been so far?

No comments:

Post a Comment