Monday 20 August 2018

Hashtag Lakelife

I had the pleasure of showing a few places out in the west beaches area of Lake Winnipeg so I went early to make the most of it.

I grew up going out to Winnipeg Beach with my paternal side of the family so there are a lot of memories and reminiscing.

Matlock is a nice stop when heading up that direction. The piers are always a relaxing place to stop. The morning was cool, almost sweater weather, and I managed to still have over half a cup of my favourite Starbucks drink when I rolled in. Nothing like a warm chai latte, a light sweater and a moody sky over the lake to help you zone out for 20 minutes.

I visited with my parents at the marina. I can't believe I didn't think to take a picture there as the marina and pier with all the boats is a nice sight. From the south parking lot you have a unique perspective of the water tower through the bushes and cattails on the edge of the park. It always makes me want to pick up my paint brush. 

We decided to hit up The Emporium for lunch where I enjoyed a delicious home made crepe and my friend enjoyed the Drunken Chicken pizza. The Emporium is known for their crepes, pizzas and drunken chicken. If you go after 4pm they are wood fired pizzas. It is a really nice little place.

While waiting between showings we took a drive though downtown Winnipeg Beach. I didn't have time to take a walk on The Boardwalk to find my grandparents plaque or to stop at Dairy Bee to reminisce about gramma and grampa taking us for ice cream but we did come across a place that looks old but has only been there since 2012. We decided to pop in as it was right up my friends alley with all the unique decor. It is called Candies & Curiosities. Such a nice little place and they had a few treasures that took me back. 


There are so many more great places to check out if you are in the beaches area. The jam busters at Fred's (on the highway) are a great addition to a picnic, there is an off leash dog beach in the provincial park area near the water tower, there is the artesian well on the corner of Laurel and Grove, a new walking bridge just north of that, the waterfront park, and so much more. It is a leisurely drive down highway 9 and is less than an hour from the north perimeter. If you wanted add a few stops to your trip you could also see the locks in Lockport, Lower Fort Gary on highway 9, and the marine museum in Selkirk. 

What are your favourite spots to stop in the west beaches areas?








No comments:

Post a Comment